This 1952 Ford F3 3/4 ton pick-up was converted to 4×4 in-period by well-known outfitted Marmon-Herrington, and has more recently been the recipient of a thorough restoration. Resprayed in factory-correct Sea Island Green, the flathead V8 powered truck has been driven only six miles since completion, with refurbishment seeing all major mechanicals either rebuilt or replaced with NOS parts. These heavy duty Marmon-converted four-bys are considerably scarcer than similar NAPCO builds, not to mention Dodge’s factory four wheel drive Power Wagon.
Founded in 1931 and still in operation today, Marmon-Herrington is the successor to the Marmon Motor Car Company which was most famous for building the Wasp. The company manufactured its own transfer cases and axles, used both for vehicles of the firm’s design, as well as on semi-factory aftermarket conversions like that fitted to this Ford. The company was also heavily involved with buses, tanks, and armored cars. Restored in the early 1990’s, the truck at hand still presents excellently, with crisp sheet metal, shiny brightwork, nice paint, and period perfect detailing. Driven minimally since completion, the tires still have molding nubbies around the edges.
The cab is surprisingly well-equipped for a heavy duty work truck of this era, and unusually stylish as well–just look at that dash. The factory radio and speaker grille are especially cool, and the 50’s hot rod style art glass shift knob is a nice subtle custom touch. Additional levers to the right control the four wheel drive system. Wipers and radio are currently inop, but the spotlight does work properly. Note MH’s detailed operating instructions mounted on the driver’s door.